Financial hardship

You may apply for a benefit if you have suffered or are suffering from significant financial hardship. It is not an automatic benefit. You will need to have explored all other options and generally have sought budgeting advice.

We have adopted these guidelines to help us consider applications:

  • You or a member of your immediate family is in need of medical attention that you cannot afford and funding from the public health service and/or your medical insurance is insufficient. This may include modifying a residence to meet special needs or the cost of palliative care.
  • You have suffered a loss through a natural disaster or other cause beyond your control for which recompense is not available through usual sources.
  • You are unable to meet the cost of a dependant’s funeral.
  • A mortgagee is seeking to enforce the mortgage on your home.
  • Bankruptcy is imminent (i.e. you have received a letter from a creditor threatening to start proceedings against you to recover a debt).
  • You have an urgent and unexpected need for funds beyond your reasonable control.

The amount payable is at our discretion. It will not exceed the amount that would have been paid had you left service on the date you applied for a hardship benefit. Any payment is made first from your member’s account and any remainder from your employer’s account.

To apply for a hardship benefit, you need to complete a Significant financial hardship form.

You’ll find more information to help you prepare an application on the form, including a list of the supporting documentation you’ll need to provide.


This website is provided by Mercer (N.Z) Limited on behalf of the trustee of the Police Superannuation Scheme (PSS). The trustee pays a fee for the provision of this service, however this fee is not conditional on you using this service or acting on the information or advice provided through this service.

PSS Trustees Limited is the issuer of the Police Superannuation Scheme (PSS). A copy of the PSS product disclosure statement is available under Documents and forms and at