Benefits when you leave


When you leave Police you will be paid the balance or your member's account and your employer's account (if you have one). The benefit is the same whatever the reason you are leaving. This includes retirement, resignation, dismissal, redundancy, medical disengagement or death.


Death benefit


If you die while you are a member of the scheme, we will pay your benefit to your executors (if you have a Will) or to the administrators of your estate (if you do not have a Will). It is important to make a Will and keep it up to date. Dying without a Will can place unnecessary financial and emotional strain on your family and delay payment of your benefit. There is a fact sheet on the website which explains the process for claiming a death benefit. It's a good idea to keep a copy of this fact sheet with your Will. Download the fact sheet here.


Leaving your money in the scheme


You do not have to withdraw your benefit from the scheme when you leave Police. You can choose to remain in the scheme as a retained member.

It is a good option if you're happy with the way your savings are invested and do not need them straight away. You won't be able to continue contributing, but your savings will continue to accrue interest. You can access your savings at any time as long as each withdrawal is at least $5,000 and your remaining balance is over $5,000.

You will still need to pay the standard benefit payment fee per withdrawal (see Fees and tax).


Transferring to another scheme


When you leave Police, you may ask us to transfer your savings to another registered superannuation scheme, including KiwiSaver. We would need the agreement of the trustee of the other scheme before such a transfer could take place.


How to claim your benefit


You need to claim your benefit if you leave Police. You can do this by completing a Leaving form and returning it to Payroll. You can use the same form to let us know if you would like to leave your money in the scheme.


Benefits while in service


The scheme is designed to help you save for your retirement and to give you and your family financial assistance should you die or be unable to work because of illness or injury. Under certain circumstances, however, you can make a withdrawal while still in service. You can:


You need to provide evidence showing your account name and number


We can only pay benefits into a bank or Police and Families Credit Union account in your name. That excludes family trust accounts, business accounts and accounts in someone else’s name. For us to process your payment, you must attach evidence showing your account name and number e.g. an encoded deposit slip, verification from your bank, a photocopy of the top of a statement or a screen shot from your internet banking.


This website is provided by Mercer (N.Z) Limited on behalf of the trustee of the Police Superannuation Scheme (PSS). The trustee pays a fee for the provision of this service, however this fee is not conditional on you using this service or acting on the information or advice provided through this service.

PSS Trustees Limited is the issuer of the Police Superannuation Scheme (PSS). A copy of the PSS product disclosure statement is available under Documents and forms and at